There are many things that a consumer needs to know before hiring a Realtor to represent them. There are many factors to look at when making this important decision. Most often, there are qualities to look for in a Realtor other than who has the most signs in the area. Here are a few things to consider as well as our original video on how to choose an agent.
5 Tips When Choosing a Houston Realtor
- Recommendations – make sure you read the recommendations and testimonials on a system that can’t be gamed to only show good ones. The Houston Association of Realtors has great system called the Client Experience Rating which is a fair and transparent system to evaluate a Realtor.
- Designations/Special Training – with the complex nature of a home sale or purchase, a qualified Houston Realtor will have more than the minimum education required to obtain a license. There are over 50 designations ranging from buyer representation, marketing and more.
- Sales Volume – while there are some major concerns about choosing the highest volume Realtor, there are more concerns with choosing one that has a very low sales volume or adequate experience in Real Estate
- Market knowledge – with the use of many technology tools, it is easier for an agent to appear knowledgable in any market. While you don’t need to have the old school “neighborhood expert”, it is imperative for the agent to have some knowledge of the market you are buying or selling in. A good example is Shadow Creek Ranch in Pearland. Any Realtor can pull comps to assign a value but only those with experience would know that the community is split into 2 school districts.
- Level of service – when choosing a Houston Realtor, the level of service they provide and the ability to get along with them is vital. Large “mega Realtors” often pass you off to their team of assistants. Part time agents might not be able to devote the time needed for your transaction. Make sure you can have a close and good working relationship with the Realtor you choose.